top of page
Rhode Island Fiduciary

Call Connelly Law Today

Rhode Island Elder Law Attorney

Phone:  401-724-9400

Fax:  401-724-3046

Our office locations


47 Water St., Suite 101

Mystic, CT  06355


This website includes general information about legal issues, issues affecting seniors and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction for advice on specific legal issues and/or problems.

Rhode Island - Main Office

372 Broadway

Pawtucket, RI  02860



Martha's Vineyard

Oak Bluffs, MA  02557


Follow us on:

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Rhode Island Elder Law Attorney - Conservatorship

Elder Law Attorney for Rhode Island, Eastern Connecticut and Southeastern Massachusetts


What is a Conservator?

A conservator is a person appointed by the court to manage the money and property belonging to an adult who is financially incapable. Many states define "financially incapable" as being unable to take the actions necessary to manage the person's income, real property, and other assets effectively.


A medical diagnosis, such as Alzheimer's Disease, traumatic brain injury, bi-polar disorder, or Down syndrome, is not the same as a legal finding that the person is financially incapable.


A person who makes bad investment decisions, who has been the victim of a financial scam, or who is not paying bills may not be financially incapable. A conservator can also be appointed for a minor child (under the age of 18).

Appointing a Conservator

The process for appointing a conservator is very similar to the process for appointing a guardian. Our attorney files a petition with the court that includes facts showing the respondent is financially incapable and has money and property with amounting to a total determined by law. In many cases, the petition asks the court to appoint both a guardian and a conservator. The respondent has to be personally served with a copy of the petition together with a notice about his or her rights. Copies of the petition and notices about the conservatorship case have to be mailed to the respondent's closest relative(s) and to other people and agencies required by the law. The respondent can object to the conservatorship or to the proposed conservator. Other people can also object. Objections are only filed in a small number of cases.

If the petition is for a conservator only, the judge generally does not appoint a court visitor. If no objections have been made, the judge will usually sign an order appointing the conservator. Once a conservator has been appointed, the respondent is called the protected person.

How does a Judge decide if a conservator is needed?

If someone makes an objection to the petition, the judge will hold a hearing. At the hearing, witnesses will testify and the parties can present additional evidence. The judge then decides whether the respondent is financially incapable, whether the respondent has money or property that needs to be protected, and whether the proposed conservator is qualified and suitable.

What happens when there is an emergency?

The judge can appoint a temporary or emergency conservator for up to 30 days if there is strong evidence of an immediate and serious danger to the respondent's money or property. In most cases involving a temporary conservator, the petitioner also asks the court to appoint a conservator for an indefinite period. Although not all courts follow the same procedures, there is usually a short hearing on the temporary conservatorship and the petitioner is required to provide supporting evidence, such as a sworn statement describing nature of the emergency and the threat to the respondent's money or property. The most common reason for asking the court to appoint a temporary conservator is to stop or prevent financial abuse.


What powers and duties does the conservator have?

The conservator has to post a surety bond before he or she can take control of the protected person's income and assets. The amount of the bond is set by the court based on the value of the protected person's assets and annual income. The conservator must find out what income and assets the protected person owns, file an inventory with the court, and take the steps needed to preserve or protect the assets. The conservator has to use the income and assets to pay for the reasonable expenses of the protected person.

The conservator must file an accounting with the court every year that lists all of the income received and the expenses paid during the past year. Canceled checks and account statements are attached to the accounting. Copies of the accounting and notices have to be mailed to the protected person and to other people and agencies required by law. The conservator is required to get specific permission from the court before doing certain things with the protected person's money and property. For example, the conservator has to have the court's approval in order to sell the protected person's residence, to withdraw money from a restricted account, or to buy property from the protected person for the conservator's own use.

The attorneys at Connelly Law Offices, Ltd. can help you with conservative issues and act as a conservative.

Rhode Island, Southeastern Massachusetts and Eastern Connecticut Elder Law Attorney

Rhode Island elder law attorney

Determining whether or not a loved one needs an appointed conservator is not an easy decision. Even more difficult is when a court appoints a conservatorship which you feel is unnecessary or carries the risk of abuse or other dangers to the well-being of your loved one. Whatever the case may be, our firm can walk you through the legal process for finding a solution or can act as a conservator.

                                                                                                                ---- RJ Connelly III

Contact Us!

Thanks! Message sent.

bottom of page